Friday, August 8, 2008

Well, things are moving along quickly. I leave two weeks from Sunday! I got my international flight tickets in the mail, and I have a seat reserved from Dulles to JFK. I'm leaving at 5 AM on Sunday morning, and am going to end up sitting in JFK for 6 hours, but it'll be OK. Not wonderful, but I'll be all hyped up anyway. And I'll bring a book. I don't know exactly how long the flight to India will be, but between 15-17 hours probably, with a stop-over in Paris. Hard to believe I'm leaving so soon.
I have my visa, credit card, and am a phone call away from getting my cell phone stuff figured out. Muhlenberg requires all study abroad students to have a phone, so while I would much rather not have to worry about it, I still have to get one. Perhaps I will be glad about it later, but right now it's just another thing to worry about.
Almost finished with one essay, and I'm done with the book I needed to read for the second one. I haven't looked at my alphabet for awhile, but I've pretty much got it down. Almost all my shopping is done, and when I practiced packing it all, it actually looked like I might have a little extra room to spare! Exciting since I only have two small bags I'm taking.
I've been doing lots of reading about Delhi and India in an attempt to know everything I can. Currently I'm reading a book called, "Holy Cow", by an Australian journalist. It's very interesting, because she starts out really not liking India, so this way I can be prepared for some negative things too.
I've been in touch with a few people on the trip, but the list hasn't officially been released yet. It's pretty exciting. All I know is that everyone is from the US (or at least has dual-citizenship), and that there are 19 students going. We are spending our first week--orientation--at an ashram in Delhi, where they have yoga in the mornings and meditation in the evenings, and we are welcome to help with classes at their school.
That's all for now--I must get back to my reading!

No comments: