Hey everyone,
I don't know haw many people may have heard about this, but yesterday (the 13th) there were five bombings in New Delhi. I am safe, and everyone I know here is. We all got a little shaken up, because two of the bombs went off in a market that we regularly shop at and had even been out to dinner in the night before. They were low-intensity bombs, and the last I heard there was a total of 15 that had been killed, and around a hundred injured. That was last night anyway. Luckily most of the students on our program were in the same area, so we all gathered at one person's house to watch the news and spend the night so we weren't out rickshawing late at night in all the chaos. As luck would have it, our phones all stopped working that morning too, so everyone was going crazy trying to get in touch with the program directors and find out what we should do. Everybody's safe and sound, and tomorrow we have a big meeting at the program center to discuss future safety precautions and stuff. Apparently Storm-ji (academic director) has canceled classes for the next week, so I don't know what that means for the future of the program.
Katz and I got home around 11 this morning, and have spent most of the day with our family. It's been nice being around, since we don't normally see both Deepak and Deepika together because of their shifts at work. Yesterday we finally got to give them their homestay gifts, which was fun. We also went out to lunch with them and Dishant today at a really good Chinese food place. Lots of fun. Dishant has gotten much friendly with Katz & I, which is great. He's adorable.
I haven't been homesick, but I've been thinking a lot about home these last few days. I don't know why, but it's kind of strange. I think it's got to do with knowing that it is going to be completely different when I get back. Both physically (it'll be winter) and mentally. It's going to be strange. I'm not worried about it, but I kind of wish I could go home every few weeks, just so that there was an adjustment. It helps that I can call home occasionally.
Feeling vomity. Not actually vomiting, but nauseous most of the day. Less than pleasant, especially when rickshawing. I haven't been eating anything different that I know of, so maybe it's just that everything is finally hitting me. Ick.
We found an even closer, cheaper internet place. Only about 50 cents and hour, and about a five minute walk. Kind of dirty, but acceptable. It's also right next to a chemist (drugstore) and stationary (office supply stuff), so it's really handy.
I'm getting much more comfortable walking around. There is still a lot of unpleasant staring, but it's more manageable and not as creepy. Now it's just annoying, but it doesn't get to me as much, so it's easier to ignore. It feels really nice to be comfortable though. Not complacent, just comfortable.
Time to go--I have to take a nap and then do some homework for tomorrow. I'm behind since I wasn't around to do any this morning or last night!
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment