Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dear Indian Boy,
Just so you know, I do not find it cute, cool, intimidating, or in any way sexy when you look at me and say seductively, "Good morning Baby,". You look stupid. It's 8:30 PM, and dark out. Just so you know.

I have been feeling really good lately. Still not good about going out and doing fun things on my own, but starting to feel a little more like I could belong here. I have a regular rickshaw driver in the mornings, who does not over charge me or ask inappropriate question on our drive. He always pulls up in front of the other drivers when I come out of the hotel. I think he'll be a regular.
I also have a really nice cyber cafe, where they are nice and don't bother me, and also recognize me.
I've only been there twice now, but I think Anna Restaurant is going to be a usual dinner stop for me. It's right on the way home, and is too cheap and the food is too good to pass up. The people who run it are also really nice, already recognize me and say hi when I walk by on the way to the studio, and don't mind if I stay a little after I finish eating to read or write or draw. The boys are also really curious about America, but not in a creepy way.
So I have a nice little set up here. It's only for another week, but it feels good to not have to try and find a new place to eat every night (or just not eat), and I know I can spend a good amount of time in the internet place & not feel like a loser. It's also reeeeeeeally really nice not to have to argue about a rickshaw price every morning.

We had our first rain since September this morning. While it was a nice, light drizzle, it succeeded in making the rest of the day very humid, so even though the sun isn't out, it's kind of unpleasant. It was also the first somewhat chilly morning, although I'm sure all of you at home would kick me for saying that. Everybody here at the hotel and the studio keep telling me to bundle up since it's so cold and they don't want me to get sick. I try to explain to them that to me it just feels like a nice, cool autumn morning, but they don't really get it.

There were two big cockroaches in my bathroom last night. Those of you who know me know that I don't really mind bugs at all. You would have laughed at me last night, because I squealed like a girl and ran around on tip toe. They were reeeeeeally big. I got over it though.

Boiled three of my batiks today. So happy with how everything is turning out. Can't wait to show them to people. It's just so satisfying. You spend days (or weeks) covering a piece of cloth with wax, until it barely looks like anything anymore. You forget what colors you put on, the design is invisible, and all you have is a big piece of wax. Then you boil it, and scrap the wax off, rinse it, and there is a piece of beautiful, colorful artwork. It's amazing. I love it. They are all really pretty. Not gonna lie, I'm a little proud. I'm going to work on two more designs tonight, since Rashida-ji said that tomorrow should be my last day for starting new designs. After that I'll spend my time just finishing up the (now 5) pieces that will be unfinished. Should work out almost perfectly.

Also, yesterday I spent 15 minutes at a post office gluing three stamps each to 19 postcards. I've been writing them over the last month, but only just got around to sending them all. The postal workers laughed at me when I brought out the stack. I apologize that I will probably be home before the postcards reach anyone, but I still love you all. Now it'll be a nice little surprise for you in mid-December!

Love to everyone!

No comments: