Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"Hey, you look like a cool, refreshing glass of water...and I'm the thirstiest man in this town,"

Yes, somebody actually said that to me. I don't know what response they were hoping for, but I just laughed. After I got back to my room.

Sad news. I read a headline today about how five girls have been murdered in the last month by male members of their families, because they were going off to meet their 'unsuitable' boy friends. They are called 'honor killings', because the girls were going to stain their family's names by visiting with these unapproved boys. It's nice to know family means so much in this country.

I love my rickshaw wallah. Yesterday I told him it was my last day, and said goodbye. Today, as I was walking to the internet place, he pulled up next to me and told me to get in. I said I was just going a few blocks, I didn't need a ride. He said, smiling, 'no money, no money, just get in'. So I did, and he gave me a free ride to the internet place. So sweet. It's really nice when you meet the good people here. I'll miss him.

This afternoon I am heading over to the studio to say some last goodbyes and pick up my batiks. Very sad. The I'll go to my regular internet place, take a picture, kill some time, and say goodbye. Then I'll go to the bakery, and get some almond pie for the road! Then I'll go to Anna Restaurant, get an early dinner, take some pictures, and say goodbye. Then back to the hotel, finish packing (soooooo much stuff!) pay my bills, take some pictures, and say goodbye. Then it's off to the trainstation, for my oh so very long sleeper train ride, and I'm back in Delhi! Woo woo!

A few nights ago I went to the movie, Octopussy, and the restaurant. Oh James Bond, you are a silly man. It was a fun way to spend the evening though, and I had the most magnificent honey lassi ever.

So many weddings. So many. I saw one go by that had six grooms in one procession. Another time I saw three diferent ones in a row. It is definitely the season.

More once I reach Delhi.

GOODBYE UDAIPUR, I'LL MISS YOU!

No comments: