Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thank you.

just a quick message:

Yesterday I arrived in Delhi safely in the morning, found a hotel, and had a lovely day reuniting with people.

Today we found out that at 10 PM last night there was a full-scale terrorist attack on Mumbai, which is still occurring. There are a number of hostages being held at several hotels that are under siege, there was open fire at a railway station, one apartment building was raided, and a gas station blown up. Last I heard. Over a hundred people have been killed, including India's three best police officers, who were the head of the anti-terrorist force. There has been open fire and negotiations since 10 PM last night. It's 9/11, India-style. It's also terrifying.

That being said, we are all safe and OK here in Delhi. Not everyone is back from their ISP, but no one was near Mumbai and everyone is fine. They are moving all of us who are here into the Ashram early, which is good and bad. I don't really mind, although I kind of liked my hotel. Those of us who are back had a decent (though by no means perfect) thanksgiving lunch at the program center. They couldn't get a hold of a turkey, but we had really yummy mashed potatoes, apple cider, and cranberry sauce, plus a random paneer tikka. It was nice, and while I wish I could be at home celebrating the holiday, under the circumstances it was good. We all have a lot to be thankful for, and the fact that a lot of people are still being held hostage at gun point puts a big damper on things, but it also made us enjoy our safety and time together a lot. It's a very sad time, that hopefully will not get too much worse.

I wish there was a way to convey what a big deal it is, since we've already had these few small bombings. It's just...it is India's 9/11. It is a very accurate comparason, at least at this point. I guess the fact that the smaller bombings barely made news, while most people in the US and Europe heard about this before I did means something. I can't tell you how much it means that I have gotten messages from all over the US, England, Italy, and several other countries all showing their concern. I really appreciate it, and I love you all so much. I hope that those of you who celebrate it have a good Thanksgiving, because, as we are reminded again and again, we have an awful lot to be thankful for.

Love.

No comments: