THAT'S WHY!!!!!

There she is Ladies & Gents, Ophelia. 2 1/2 weeks o' batik work has paid off, in my mind. Unfortunately, this doesn't show the vibrancy of the colors very well, but it gives a nice idea. Plus, after we boiled her, I got to play with play-dough---how could life get better??!! For after I get back, and for those who are interested, I have pictures from every step of the process. Each time we waxed & dyed her...so if you're interested in seeing how it got to here, just ask.
I got my ticket for Delhi today. the 25th, leaving at 6:30 pm. sleeper train. Should be a little easier than my ride there, except for needing to keep my bags real close and not falling too soundly asleep.
Interesting observation: People in India yell. A lot. And it's not necessarily a bad thing. Everyday my batik family yells at each other constantly, in very elevated Hindi. I have no idea what they are talking about, but it sounds like they are about to kill each other. The other day I was sitting while there was a particularly heated, violent sounding conversation going on, and I was not looking up, pretending I was deaf or not in the room, since it was obviously supposed to be private. At one point I glanced up, and Rashida-ji and the woman she was talking to were both smiling away! The use of tone in the voice is so different here...to just hear the conversation you would swear it was an arguement, but if you could only see it it was obviously just two friends chatting. so weird. Confusing too.
All for now. Tomorrow's my day off, so I'll probably shoot off another post.
Oh yeah, the last two days I've had to stand in the street for 15 minutes on my walk home so wedding processions could go by. craziness.
2 comments:
thats so cool!
come back now :)
<3 Lee
That's so beautiful! I was trying to imagine what it looked like from your description, but I was a little off :)
Hope you're enjoying yourself!(sounds like you are)
It's fun to hear about both you and Nat's study abroads at the same time...so different (India vs. Russia), but still a lot of similarities.
Post a Comment