Friday, November 7, 2008

Yeah, I suck at posting. Whatever. I'm in a internet place and was about to register for classes when I discovered that daylight savings time has occured in the US, and I actually have an hour to kill here before I can register. Not too pleased about that, since it means walking home after dark tonight, which will be less than pleasant. Oh well, if it means I get a blog entry in, I guess that's all that matters!

So, it's been awhile. Finished up in Delhi about a week ago, where finals went reasonably well, although I have no idea how I actually did on them. Spent a day or two hanging out with people and packing, then left early Sunday to catch my train. Spent all day riding the rails, although I had a three hour break in Ajmer where I sat in the ladies waiting room and had awkward conversations with many Indian women, who took pity on the awkward and uncomfortable looking american who sat across from them. Then I went out to catch my next train, only to discover that, though three people had told me I was at the right platform, it was actually three platforms over. Seeing as how I had two minutes till it pulled out, I ran up the steps, over the crosswalk, and back down, ran to my car, and jumped in the door as it started moving. All with an enormas backpack and a small duffle. I think I had a small heart attack, and it took me a good while to catch my breath.
Arrived in Udaipur late, and got settled into my hotel. The people are very nice, and told me that it was my family, not a hotel. My batik lessons are from 11-4, with an hour break for lunch. I'm on my own for lunch. I have to say that while I enjoy batiking immensly, I'm not sure how this is going to work out. I have far too much alone time, and apparently I hate doing anything on my own. Not because I can't, but I just have no desire to go out and eat by myself, or walk around town, or site see, or anything by myself. It's just not that fun. I walk to and from batik, which takes about half an hour each way, so that takes up some of my time. If I stop at an internet place it kills some of it, but I still usually need to be back to my hotel by 6, when it gets dark. From then on it's just me, drawing and reading and day dreaming.
Thankfully last night I got in touch with a couple of American girls that Dheeraj-ji told me about, and we had dinner and hung out. It was a wonderful relief. They are both leaving for Delhi today though, so it doesn't do me too much good for the future. One comes back in a week, so hopefully after that I'll have someone to hang out with. I just need to get in the mode of meeting people, but I'm a little shy for that. It'll work out eventually I suppose.
So that's what I'm up to at the moment. Udaipur is lovely, though, as I said above, would be lovelier if I had someone to share it with. Everyday I walk past dozens and dozens of shops and stall selling beautiful clothes and scarves and jewelry and all things wonderful, although I can't even glance at the thing hanging up without the owners (who all seem to be 20 year old boys) running out and saying "Hello Pretty, want to look? Just step in, look look, no buy". I have gotton really good at flat out ignoring people's existence, which hopefully will not carry over when I get back to the states.

random note--the owner of this internet place looks somewhat like Hank Azaria. It makes me really happy. Along similar lines, I love seeing people here that look exactly like people from home, except that their Indian. Nick Flatto, I saw a boy here that looked so much like you, I did a double take. Except that he was Indian. Weird. Happens a lot actually.

Only about four weeks till home. So excited. Love to you all, and apologies for taking so ridiculously long to get out this post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

4 Weeks!!!
Anna I miss you and thought I saw you again a few days ago
<3 Lee